Sunday, February 26, 2012

Breastfeeding

Disclaimer: Male readers who are uncomfortable reading about this subject may feel free to skip this post. But I promise there isn’t anything inappropriate.



There have definitely been some challenges in the realm of breastfeeding Victor.

Perhaps the majority of the totally-life-transforming changes coming with our baby have been related to this particular aspect, including, but not limited to:

• Leaking milk
• Disregard for modesty with sundry hospital personnel
• Engorgement
• Breast shields
• Mastitis
• Embarrassing moments in restaurants
• Blisters
• 100% responsibility for middle of the night feedings
• Pumping
• Wardrobe limitations
• Ordering my entire life around the feeding schedule

I will not deny that there have been a time or two when I thought (mostly in the middle of the night) that sending Ben off with a bottle of formula seemed like a really good idea (we’re still in the “make sure Victor gets well-established in nursing” phase, so no bottles for him yet).

However…

Breastfeeding has had some of the sweetest benefits as well, for example:

First-hand experience of one of the most amazing, miraculous physical processes I’ve ever seen. Who would have dreamed up a feeding system like this? Fully assembled before ever needed, a complex delivery system with no additional attachments required, remarkably sanitary, full of nutritional powerhouses, production on demand (with very little waste), adjusting to the health needs of my baby, all triggered by internal signals at the appropriate time, without any human intervention. God is awesome.



Sweet, sweet snuggle time. Sometimes at 3am, when Victor is asleep on my shoulder, supposedly burping, I just can’t put him right back into bed. His arm is draped over my shoulder, his head nestled in the crook of my neck, smelling like milk and soft baby, making little contented squeaks with every breath. I just hold him close and rock him, thinking how soon he’ll probably be sleeping through the night, too big to fit perfectly in one arm. Those moments are a gift I hope not to miss.



Breastfeeding has been the source of ample inconvenience, discomfort, and adjustment. But I thank God for such an incredible provision… for the good of my little boy, and for his momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment