Thursday, December 3, 2009

O Holy Night

I love the Advent season, and one of my favorite aspects is the beautiful hymns that stir so strongly in the recollection of Jesus’ first coming. My very favorite is “O Holy Night”—a song that I have found moves me deeply each year.

See how these words (not in their given order here) so strongly paint the portrait of a bleak, sin-darkened world, a single beacon of hope coming in Christ, our only conceivable mediator with a holy God.

“Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.

“He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger,
And in his name all oppression shall cease.

“The King of kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friends.

“A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

“Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

“Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O holy night, O night divine!

“Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
O holy night, O night divine!”

O Jesus, melt my heart with the humility of Your advent. Let the power and beauty of Your coming press me to my face again, to my knees, on my face before the One who came “so that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death… [and] make propitiation for the sins of the people” (Heb 2:14, 17). Thank You, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment