Saturday, June 26, 2010

Delight and Consolation

Psalm 119:92, “If Your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction.”

Spurgeon writes in his Treasury of David on this verse:
In our darkest seasons nothing has kept us from desperation but the promise of the Lord: yea, at times nothing has stood between us and self-destruction save faith in the eternal word of God. When worn with pain until the brain has become dazed and the reason well-nigh extinguished, a sweet text has whispered to us its heart-cheering assurance, and our poor struggling mind has reposed upon the bosom of God. That which was our delight in prosperity has been our light in adversity; that which in the day kept us from presuming has in the night kept us from perishing. (vol. 3, p. 316)

Psalm 94:19, “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment