Sunday, May 18, 2014

Attack of the Killer To Do List

To Do Today:

- Unload the dishwasher
- Load the dishwasher
- Run the dishwasher
- Fold clothes in the dryer
- Wash clothes in the basket
- Wash sheets
- Put away clothes
- Go to staff farewell lunch
- Go to final BCS wives gathering
- Go to the office to print off interview assignments
- Go to the park with Victor
- Call the hospital where we delivered Josiah
- Call the pediatrician
- Call the OB office
- Buy Father's Day gift for Ben
- Work 4 hours
- Feed Josiah (6-8 times)
- Feed Victor
- Feed Ben
- Pick up toys
- Pick up papers
- Pick up books
- Pick up shoes
- Proctor Ben's exam
- Write thank you notes
- Pack lunch for tomorrow
- Read Bible
- Pray (these things should not be at the bottom of the list!)
- Sleep (right...)

I know this ferocious monster does not attack only me.  Proof of its violence, of course, is that I started writing this post almost a week ago.

It's not just that there's a lot to do.  Everyone everywhere has a lot to do. 

The real bite of the killer to do list comes in my assessment (conscious or not) of success in a day based on the percentage I get crossed off the list.

42%.  Failure.

Despite the fact that the average day's list requires about 72 hours of labor to complete, there is still a sometimes overwhelming sense of  pressure to get. it. all. done.  And, of course, life intervenes.

Crying baby.  Blowout diaper.  Antsy 2-year-old.  Spilled milk. 

When the to do list hovers over my head like the gray cloud over Eeyore, I am not positioned well to respond with grace and flexibility to the needs and opportunities that pop up in the middle of every day. 

I am tempted to gripe and snap at these interruptions to productivity, rather than welcome them as the real call of God for my care and attention at the moment.

And at the bottom of it lies a very simple promise from God: He intends me to do only 24-hours' worth of activity (sleep included) in any given day... and my faithfulness is not governed by any external list, no matter how pressing its contents.

Rather, faithfulness is a dependent and grace-filled response to the needs He sets in my path.

May I receive His agenda with a light heart and open hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment