Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ultrasound, CT Scan, Surgery

When I was pregnant with Josiah, they found a simple cyst (i.e. fluid-filled, no biggie) during an ultrasound. They kept tabs on it through the pregnancy, just for fun I guess, since they didn't really need to do anything with it.

At my post-partum check-up, the doc wanted me to get an ultrasound just to make sure it had resolved itself. The scheduler wasn't in, so I was supposed to call. Make a phone call? You know how that goes.

Five months later, I figured it was time. So I made the call, and headed in on a Tuesday morning (right before my birthday) to cross that off my list.

The ultrasound tech (who always previously gave me pictures of my babies) found the cyst, still present. It looked different than before, not just a black circle, but white stuff there. (But what do I know.)

The doctor took a long time coming in to talk to me. A really long time. Finally I poked my head out to see if it would be a while, because Josiah needed to eat. She said, "Go ahead and nurse him. It will still be a while."

I fed my baby and tried not to feel nervous.

Finally, she came in. She said, "You had a simple cyst before, and this is a complex cyst. " Complex. A mass. Not the words you hope to hear.

She scheduled a CT scan for the next day, and we had about 24-hours of wondering if this was a life-changer ... or just a blip on the screen.

Thankfully, the "cancer blood test" came back negative, and the CT scan said that it's a dermoid cyst.

And so, I'll have surgery this Thursday. Laparoscopic, out-patient. No biggie, Lord willing. But I appreciate your prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment