Saturday, July 28, 2018

Strong and Safe

What jumped out to me this morning:
The LORD is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him (Psalm 28:7).
There are a lot of things in life. Many interruptions. Many needs. Many cares. Many nagging concerns. Many dreams and aspirations. Many moments of doubt and confusion. Many demands. Many messes. Many duties. Many responsibilities and calls.

The day is full of reasons to feel weak and attacked.

In the thick of all that, what do I really need?

Not another cup of coffee.
Not a nap (well, not exclusively a nap).
Not a nanny.
Not a housecleaner.
Not a better to do list.
Not a better behavior management system.
Not a raise.
Not a cleaner house.
Not a cookie.
Not a vacation.

When the demands outtap my supply and the enemy presses in, crafty, heartless, and pervasive?

I need a strength beyond my own. I need a resource that will not run dry, a fountain of wisdom where I am foolish, a fountain of love where I am depleted. I need strength of faith and strength of character, strength of arms and strength of hope.

The LORD is my strength.

He spoke the universe into existence. He upholds it with the word of His power. His understanding is inscrutable; His great love overcame the greatness of my sin. He does not faint or grow weary. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. I am weak. I qualify. The LORD is my strength.

I need protection from an enemy I cannot see, cannot thwart, cannot escape alone. I need shelter, a hiding place, safety. I can't even see all the darts, can't distinguish every lie, can't escape the blows. I need a helper who will hide me under His wings.

The LORD is my shield.

If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? What can separate us from the love of God? Tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, peril, nakedness, sword? No. If He has settled us safe in His arms and declared we will be more than conquerors in the hollow of His hand, then safe we are. The LORD is my shield.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment