Thursday, October 25, 2018

Letters to My Big Boys

Dear Victor,

Where do I even start? You are growing up in so many ways. I love the window in your smile (lost tooth #2)! I love seeing that smile!


Things that make you smile:
  • Knock-knock jokes (you are very into jokes these days and checked out 3 joke books from the library to refresh your repertoire).
  • Watching Wild Kratts. This is definitely the neb treatment show of choice for you and Josiah right now. What's more, you are excited to go out "creature adventuring" yourself! We had a fun walk in the woods with the whole fam (minus Calvin, snoozing at Grammy's) this morning. You were a little disappointed that we didn't see deer, bears, and other exciting creatures, perhaps due to the rowdiness of your fellow hikers. But we hope to have another outing (quietly) where you and Daddy can look for animals a little more strategically.
  • Reading Tintin. Even though you have read them all, you can still pore over the books for seemingly endless hours.
  • Listening to the Boxcar Children books on CD. This is your current afternoon pastime after finishing your workbooks, while Momma works a bit. You always prefer having company while you listen, but even when you're on your own, you love the Boxcar Children.
  • Seeing your buddies, especially if there is time to play freeze tag with them! You love small group, where lots of your good friends gather. Most anything is more fun with friends, and I think you have inherited some of Daddy's joy in being with others! This fall you got to go to a Twins game with friends, and it was a HUGE thrill, despite lots of rain and a very late night!
  • Seeing me in the back of the room at homeschool co-op class. You are doing great at our new co-op (classes: geology, PE, and etiquette). Every now and again I will assist in one of your classes, and when you catch a glimpse of me in the back of the room, you have a terrific grin. I love this!
  • Daddy's telling you stories (especially when there is a happy ending). You have a thrill in a satisfying end to an exciting story!
 You are definitely a first-born child, with a deep-seated sense of right and wrong (and the compulsion to see that infractions, in others, are correctly dealt with). You have strong ideas about the way things should go. But you also can demonstrate great gentleness with younger children, and you are working on regularly demonstrating kindness toward others when things don't quite go your way.

A sense of compassion is developing, and sometimes when I am extremely tired or have a headache, you'll tell me, "I'm sorry things are so hard for you, Mom" or "Can I do something to help out?" You have a good work ethic and are faithful to finish tasks that you have been given. You can do a lot of work around our home, and I really appreciate your help!

You are a "touch" guy, and I love it that you still like to sit next to me on the couch, with my arms around your shoulder. How I pray that God will continue to give you strong faith in Jesus and the ability by His Spirit to say no to sin and yes to Jesus moment by moment and day by day!

I love you, Victor!
Momma



Dear Josiah,

My 4-year-old! You have grown so much this year, especially now that you're one of the "big boys." I love your beautiful smile!






You just love Calvin! Several times a day you'll ask to "say hello to that little cutie pie"! You encourage him so much during his tummy time, and you are very patient with him if he is sad. I love to see your big brother heart! You are also gentle and kind to other small children and a good encourager of others, generous with praise of others.


You are a strong runner, coordinated with bats, balls, and bikes, and you love animals. You have a vivid imagination and often "create" animal characters and make up a story about them while you are falling asleep at night, and then you tell me about it in the morning. I love that!

You also love being with our good friends, but I sense more of an introverted spirit in you. Sometimes you are ready for some peaceful time on your own after a busy time with lots of people. You  play easily with others or on your own and usually join in enthusiastically if someone wants to coordinate an adventure.

You are not big on touch (prefer not to have my arm around you), but you will still snuggle in next to me on the couch to read books or chat a little. I love that! You are extremely tender-hearted and sensitive. Quality time and words of encouragement are big for you, I think. You can be a little quieter than your brothers, so I'm so glad when we have a little special time together.

One of those special times is each night at bedtime. You'll come to me (either before or after being tucked in) and ask to pray with me. I love to pray with you! May God deepen that habit into a lifelong communion with Jesus!

You are super way more coordinated that Mom, and you can dance a mean jig. I love that! You also have a big helper heart, and when I ask for your help on some project, you'll often respond with a smile and, "Oh sure!"

We have a little special school time together before afternoon snoozes, and you are learning lots! You are working hard and really putting together the pieces. Last week you started reading and understanding some 3 word stories. I'm very proud of you, and I love to see you exercising that strong mind that God gave you!

You are an amazing gift to our family, and I love you so much!
Momma



Dear Elliot,

Oh. My. Goodness. You are a boatload of personality packed into one little bundle! This year has been so full of growing for you, and it is a delight to see the way you squeeze lots of joy and adventure out of each day!


You are a chatty fellow. And when you speak, you enunciate every little word. So it comes out: There's. That. Park! You definitely want to be heard, understood, and acknowledged, and if I don't understand what you're saying, it is NOT because you don't know what you're talking about!

You sometimes call me from your bed, ready to get up... "Moommy-a!" like an Italian. :)

When I put you to bed for the night, we will sing the blessing song together,
"May the Lord bless you and keep you,
may the Lord make His to face shine on you and be gracious to you,
may the Lord lift His countenance on you and give you peace."
I love how you join in with me, and insert a "me" every now and then instead of "you"! (...and be gracious to me...)

You have the cutest affirmation of things we point out.
Me: Hey, there's an excavator!
You: Oh yeah!

You are very curious about anything you see that doesn't make sense to you.
You: Wha's that is?

You have gained an early awareness of the game Rock-Paper-Scissors, which your brothers call Rock-Paper-Scissors-Shoe (i.e. Shoot). You'll go around happily chanting to yourself, "Scissors ... rocket ... shoes!"



I love to give you a huge hug and tell you I'm going to "squeeze the jelly out of you!" You give great hugs.

You are so big! Pretty much leading the growth curve of the family, you're in 3T clothes (just one size behind Mr. Joe)! We try to rehearse that we are gentle and kind with little Mr. Calvin, but sometimes you do have a vigorous way of loving him. Regardless, you have taken up the mantle of big brother very well and will come tell me if Calvin is crying. You, too, often ask to "Say hi that little guy."

You have some pretty groovy dance moves, love balls, have super nice follow-through on a basketball shot, and can play happily on your own or with your big brothers. Lately we've had a hard time going to our nursery class, but you're always super happy by the time I come pick you up!

You are a big bundle of joy, and I love you so much!
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment