Saturday, October 19, 2019

Gospel, Preparation, and Coffee Shop Conversations

"Hi." My back was toward the man who greeted me while taking his plate to the "dish-return bucket." "My name is Omad." (Not his real name.)

"Hello, I'm Amy."

"They have good coffee here, don't they?" he said. "I work just over there. Do you live nearby?"

"Yes, not too far from here. This is my favorite place to get coffee," I said. "I like to come here to work or do my Bible study," I pointed to my Galatians notebook on the counter. "I'm in a Bible study on Galatians right now. Do you know the Bible?"

"Somewhat, yes. My family is Muslim, but I don't consider myself Muslim. But I am quite religious," he said. "I feel very connected to God."

I said, "Actually, this week in Bible study we were talking about the heart of the good news of Jesus.

"We have a big problem, because all of us have fallen short of God's standard of goodness, and we cannot fix that. But God sent His own Son Jesus, who lived a perfect life. He died, not because of wrong things He had done, but rather to pay for the sins of those who will trust in Him.

"And God raised Him from the dead to show that it was enough. So if we trust in Jesus and not in anything we can offer, God will receive us and cover us with Jesus' goodness. It is such good news!"

"Yes, thank you," he said. "Have a good day."

"You too," I said, and he went on his way.

It was curious, but I was not surprised at this unusual encounter. Because on Wednesday at Bible study I challenged the women to take an "assignment" to share the good news we were discussing with someone in the week ahead. And on my drive to the coffee shop, I was asking God for an opportunity. And don't you know, He always hears our prayers.

May He give us many such prayers, many such encounters, and multiplied joy rehearsing the good news of Jesus.

P.S. My husband says he was just hitting on me. To which I say, well whatever. What he got was the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment