Monday, March 16, 2020

Love by Listening and Learning

Person Holding White Flower

If you are like me, you are facing this Monday with a very perspective than last Monday.

COVID-19 has prompted calls for action that I have not previously experienced. We are walking a path we haven't walked before.

That said, here are two ideas that have been growing in my mind for what it looks like to "let all you do be done in love" in the midst of COVID-19.

First, listen to others.

My ideas of what this virus means have been changing. My personal risk (and my family's) is not high. But when I have heard the hearts of those who are in an extremely vulnerable position ... or are caring for those who are, my perspective on what it means to act in love have changed.

It has helped me ask this kind of question: "If I were the one caring for a child on immuno-suppression medication, how much would I want others to act with conservative, protective, proactive care within the community?"

Listening is also a way of caring for others in a season where some people are facing loneliness like never before. Asking for neighbors to reach out if they needed help or prayers has already created connections and shared stories that I didn't have before.

Second, be a learner.

Since much of what we are experiencing is new (new virus, new pandemic experience, new implications being realized each day), have the posture of a learner.

I'm not commending that you race to read all the panic-inducing updates on the spread of the virus.

Rather, listen to counsel. If your medical provider or government officials make a request or recommendation, take it to heart. If you see how your actions could be changed to be more protective of the vulnerable, make a change. Find trusted resources for wise action, and do not look out only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others.

There are some heart-breaking stories of the dramatic and widespread consequences of just a single person failing to heed advice. This is a time for humble hearts. Let's be good learners.

1 Corinthians 16:14 calls us to "let all you do be done in love." May the Lord grant us that grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment