Monday, February 16, 2015

To Live For Another

I've been having a neighborhood Bible study with a couple ladies for the past month. Getting ready for tomorrow night's study, this verse popped out at me:
And He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf (2 Corinthians 5:15).
 Not living for myself. It's almost laughable how far short I routinely fall from that great call, but what a liberating purpose of Christ's death.

If I'm not living for myself, I don't have to self-protect and try to preserve peoples' good impressions with false piety.

If I'm not living for myself, I don't have to excessively feed insatiable cravings ... whether for sleep, dessert, approval, efficiency, or comfort.

If I'm not living for myself, it's okay when my agenda gets scrambled by sick kids, unexpected company, toddler temper tantrums, and computer malfunctions. Interruptions don't have to ruin my day.

If I'm not living for myself, I need not fear the unexpected. If I have an open hand to receive what God sees good to give me, then I am in a very safe place. With a good Shepherd and kind Father tending my needs, even when I don't understand how it all works out for good.

If I'm not living for myself, my sins and failures will humble me and press me back to dependence on Jesus. I won't resist the conviction of the Holy Spirit and refuse to acknowledge when I've veered off His way and need to turn back to Him.

If I'm not living for myself, I won't end my days with hopeless regret and remorse. I will be spared such sorrow and bondage. I will taste hope and see those sweet every-morning mercies from the One who proved by laying down His own life that He will spare no expense for my good.

Ah, Lord, I've such a long way to go. But help me to come a step closer to consistently living for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment