Thursday, February 25, 2010

Though the Earth Should Change

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride
(Psalm 46:1-3).

Such familiar words, and comforting. But yesterday reading them, I was struck by the particular aptness of the words “though the earth should change.” Change is often what I fear. Not that the way life is right now is perfect, but I know it. Not that the world has no problems, but right now I feel comfortable facing them. But what if things change? What if I can’t take what comes?

So basic and uncomplicated. There is a refuge which can never be shaken. There is an unchanging reality who promises to be near, whatever comes. Bank on Him, and I won’t fear. Whatever He sends me, even if it is a cataclysm that destroys the whole landscape of my life, He will send His own presence and help too. He is not just present, in fact … He is a very present help. May it be so, Lord, and knowing it, let my heart be calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment