Friday, September 27, 2013

Favorite Recipe: Recent Baking Winner

I'll be honest.  I'm not doing so much baking these days.  So it's a testimony to the ease of this recipe that I have made them not once but twice since pregnant.  The first time, I rolled the dough quite thin, like I was making cinnamon rolls, and the recipe made about 2 dozen.  But after baking 20 min, they were very, very, very done on the bottom and totally crunchy.  Which Ben loved.

But it wasn't what I was aiming for.  So the second time (last night), I left the dough pretty thick, and I cut the breadsticks pretty thick, and I only made 8 breadsticks.  And they turned out chewy and tender and absolutely delightful.  And Ben was a little disappointed (but he's a good sport and still said, after a bite, that they were so good he could no longer speak).

So, make them as your heart desires. 

Category: Easy Baked Good
Winner: Breadtwists




Breadtwists

1½ cups warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast

Let that sit for 5 minutes.

Then add: 3½ cups flour
 1 tsp Salt

Mix until smooth then let raise for 10 minutes. Roll out dough into a large square on a floured surface. Brush with melted (real) butter mixed with minced garlic and then sprinkle with kosher salt. Fold in half and cut into 1 inch strips. Twist and place on a cooking sheet. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to raise. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately after baking, brush with more garlic butter and sprinkle with kosher salt and grated parmesan cheese.

Makes 8-10 big breadsticks or 2 dozen thin and crunchy breadsticks

No comments:

Post a Comment