Monday, March 10, 2014

Self-Esteem

From Pastor Sam's blog...

Here’s what G.K. Chesterton said in his book, Orthodoxy:
Once I remember walking with a prosperous publisher, who made a remark which I have often heard before; it is, indeed, almost a motto of the modern world. Yet I had heard it once too often, and I saw suddenly there was nothing in it. The publisher said of somebody, “That man will get on; he believes in himself.” … I said to him, “Shall I tell you where the men are who believe most in themselves? For I can tell you. I know of men who believe in themselves more colossally than Napoleon or Caesar. I can guide you to the thrones of Super-men. The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums. … It would be much truer to say that a man will certainly fail, because be believes in himself. Complete self-confidence is not merely a sin; complete self-confidence is a weakness. Believing utterly in one’s self is a hysterical and superstitious belief.”

No comments:

Post a Comment