Saturday, March 22, 2014

Super Special Outing

I wouldn't say I exactly have a "bucket list" of exciting things I want to do before I die.  (I would be the boring, don't-really-aspire-to-great-heights-of-fun counterbalance to my adventurous husband...) But of expensive restaurants I never thought I'd eat at, The Melting Pot (a fondue restaurant) has always been a secret desire of mine to try.

And a week ago, Thursday night (as a belated Valentine's Day / last hurrah before Baby Brother arrives), Ben took me there!

Well, to be slightly more specific, I barely made it there (a very educational trip) all on my own.  For anyone who may find themselves at the Mall of America, looking for the Blue Line bus route to the Nicollet Mall Station in downtown Minneapolis, be advised that there is no Blue Line bus route.

Apparently the rest of the masses in Minneapolis are smart enough to figure out by intuition (because I never did find it posted anywhere) that the Blue Line refers to the light rail.  But I figured it out by finally mustering my courage to climb on some random bus at the station and asking the driver... who didn't know, but an obliging patron sitting nearby informed me that the Blue Line is THE TRAIN!

So, with as much speed as a 38-week-pregnant lady can muster, I hustled over to the train platform, somehow deciphered the payment machine to get a ticket (which, incidentally, no one ever checked?).  And I made it on board with one minute to spare.

After a brisk walk from the station (two blocks the wrong direction and then five the correct direction), I worked up a great appetite for dinner.  Ben had the harder task of finding street parking nearby, coming from church, so I was seated and got to enjoy the view of the Foshay Tower for a couple minutes while I waited for him.

The ambiance was the absolute best that I've ever experienced.  We had a half-circle booth facing a window and never saw anybody but a couple servers walking by... and it was quiet enough to actually hold a conversation!

So, in a meandering fashion, we enjoyed (I'm just writing this out so I can remember the whole experience):

- Spinach Artichoke Cheese Fondue (fontina and butterkase cheeses, spinach, artichoke hearts and garlic) with tortilla chips, French bread, rosemary bread, carrots, broccoli, and apple

- 3-Part Entree cooked (at the table) in Seasoned Court Bouillon... I had Andouille Sausage, Memphis-Style BBQ Pork Medallion, and Seasoned Choice Angus Sirloin, and Ben had Atlantic Salmon, Filet Mignon, and Teriyaki-Marinated Sirloin.  Plus some red potatoes, mushrooms, and summer squash.

And last, but not least (they were running a special, so we got free...)

- Flaming Turtle Chocolate Fondue with strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, Rice Krispie Treats, marshmallows, red velvet cake, and brownies. 

It was a lovely meal, not too huge portions, and a wonderful relaxing time.  We had some really good conversation about a blog post that Pastor Sam had recently posted, and all in all, really enjoyed our 2-hour long dinner!

It was a sweet gift and wonderful evening to remember.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, fun! I, too, have always wanted to eat at a Melting Pot. So far my time hasn't come (the closest one is in Seattle) but I keep hoping someday. It sounds like it was fabulous. I can't wait to hear news about Baby Brother. Hopefully he comes this week so Ben can enjoy some extra time with you all.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete