Sunday, July 10, 2016

Past Few Days

In short form, the past few days:
 
Visit to Grammy and Grandad's.
Linn County Fair... little train ride, farm animals, tractors.
Splash pad, picnics, playgrounds.
Visit with Aunt Sue and Grandma Vaupel.

Trip to Stillwater...seeing the lift bridge, super fun playground, DQ.
Picnic after church with the Kattersons.
4th of July... breakfast with Nana and Grandpa David, parade, potluck with friends.

More playgrounds and picnics.
Summer Bible study on Noah.
Barnabas team meeting with the Indehars.
Celebrating Aunt Laura's birthday at the Kattersons.

Trip to Hastings... biking, picnic, super fun playground.
 











That is a snapshot of the past few days for us. Lovely, refreshing, delightful days.

But these days have not been so for everyone. We have seen such horrible, shocking loss of life in these past few days. We grieve at the loss of our neighbors with skin of a different color, grieve for law enforcement officers killed in service. Many are shaken by these events, confused and uncertain.

I was running and praying yesterday and was struck by a few clear thoughts.

First, there is great trouble in our country. And when I look for the source, the wellspring, I am pierced to admit it is my own heart. I have belittling thoughts of others. I apply false judgments based on preconceived notions. I harbor fear and pride and selfishness. I think greatly of myself and too little of our great Maker and King. I make myself judge, jury, and executor (though perhaps only in my mind) of others.

When I take the Lord's Table during church, in a quiet sanctuary full of others, I have a vivid reminder that I myself--I, first--crush and consume that little cracker that represents Jesus' body. I, first, require the blood of the absolutely innocent. In my presumption, in my self-absorption, I am the guilty one, and He took my place.

Second, there is a great hope offered to me and to all. Jesus died to bridge the greatest divide, to unite the two most disparate entities in the universe--holy God and sinful people. The agonies of this week have no man-made balm. And the turmoil that stirs in the hearts and minds of our nation (and all the nations) can find rest only in a story that stretches far past this brief life. The story of ransom, justice, and mercy will shine in perfect glory one day. All people share a common, absolute need. A need to hear of this hope. And we have the blood-bought privilege of sharing it.

We do not pass strangers on the street. We pass neighbors. They all equally need a Savior, all fall short of the glory of God. All are made in the beautiful image of God. All wear the wounds of sin (their own and others). All have a story, bear a burden. Lord, help us to be more like Jesus, who saw people as persons and perceived the needs of each heart. Make us quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger. And give us, Your people, winsome, salty, bright love in a foggy world that needs You so.

No comments:

Post a Comment