Monday, June 25, 2012

To Mr. Fogle: Celebrating 40 Years of Ministry

"Thank You, Mr. Fogle"
By Amy Katterson

I. For Being a Teacher
. A. Before being a student
. B. While being a student
. C. After being a student
II. For Being a Preacher
III. For Being a Prayer

It really only seems right to submit a brief outline of my thoughts with this note. I can barely type a sentence without Mr. Fogle’s influence on my life being visible. And I daresay his influence on me as a teacher is surpassed only by his preaching and praying.

I had two older siblings, so I knew about Mr. Fogle’s English class long before I became a student myself. I must admit a sense of foreboding when I reached my 7th grade year and began taking English Grammar and Composition. The weekly theme, the book reports, the absolute standard of honesty for completing work on time and remaining attentive in class—these were not simply academic rigors to endure but character-shaping lessons. Comma rules, sentence diagramming, and subject-verb agreement were tackled and mastered in due course. Perhaps as a testament of Mr. Fogle’s helpful and fruitful teaching, I went on to become an English writing major in college.

My time as Mr. Fogle’s student was very significant, but I will always consider him first and foremost my pastor (but not “Pastor Fogle”!). I think I started hearing his sermons when I was about five days old, and I am indebted to him for faithful, systematic teaching through the Bible. The word of God is “more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold” (Psalm 19:10a), and that is what he gave us week after week in his preaching.

I had Wilm’s tumor (cancer in my left kidney) when I was five years old. Only a few years ago, I learned that Mr. Fogle committed to pray for me every day. I suspect it was prompted by the cancer, though perhaps he simply had a prophetic sense of how much grace I would need to be saved and sanctified! That unknown and undeserved gift is perhaps the greatest influence Mr. Fogle had on my life, for only in eternity will we know all the kindness of God toward me that resulted from his faithful intercession.

I’m an adult now with a child of my own, but Mr. Fogle will always be “Mr. Fogle” to me. As he transitions to a new season of life and ministry, I am confident he will continue to encourage and help many people. And I pray that as my son grows he may have similar men of influence in his life—as teachers, preachers, and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully put. And so very, very true.
    Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Mr. Fogle has had a similar influence on my life. Thanks for putting it into words.

    Luke

    Also, hi!

    ReplyDelete