Monday, June 4, 2012

Why I Blog

This morning Ben had a conversation with our co-worker Rob, which turned to the topic of blogging. Ben and I were talking about it later, musing about why writing is significant to me. It got my wheels turning about why I blog in the first place.

Why I Blog:

* To reflect on life. Writing helps me process thoughts and make sense of things. This was what Ben and I were talking about. There's a quote by John Piper inside my journal: "Writing is a way of seeing that is deeper and sharper than most other ways. We see more when we write than when we just read." This is true.

* To remember. Because I have an abysmal short-term memory. And even worse long-term.

* To report what God is doing in my life, my family, my church, my heart. Particularly for people who are a long way away. (Until God convicts you all to move to MN!) And for anyone else God brings along the way--and I hope that what you see isn't mostly me.

* To rejoice in the awesomeness of God's gifts, because sharing multiplies joy.

* To recognize things that are significant, to take time to think about and talk about what matters.

* To post adorable pictures of my son. (True confession.)

Blogging carries the inherent risk of becoming enormously egocentric. Everybody should read my thoughts. That could be horrifically arrogant. And that is a danger to take seriously, because God opposes the proud.

So I'm praying that God will keep me from evil and error and take glory from these jottings.

And you should feel free not to read them.

1 comment: