Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day After Election Day

Dear Victor,

Yesterday was election day.  You came along for the ride to the nursing home and charmed all the folks while Momma and Daddy voted.

You're a citizen of the United States of America.  That's a blessing, and it carries responsibility with it.

God tells us, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God" (Rom. 13:1).

Also, "Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. Honor all people; love the brotherhood; fear God; honor the king" (1 Pet. 2:16-17).

This morning before I saw the results of the vote, I was reading in Ezekiel.  Over and over, the theme was:


for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations” (20:9),

“I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations” (20:14),

“I … acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations” (20:22),

“you will know that I am the LORD when I have dealt with you for My name’s sake” (20:44). 


God acts to preserve the glory of His name among the nations.  Huge epic events, like the overthrow of Jerusalem and exile of the Jews, the conquest of Babylon, the favor shown to Israel's king--these things are not mere human actions and decisions.  Through them, God is unfolding His purposes. 

“’As I live,’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘surely with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out, I shall be king over you.’ … ‘Then you will know that I am the LORD when I have dealt with you for My name’s sake, not according to your evil ways or according to your corrupt deeds, O house of Israel,’ declares the Lord GOD” (20: 33, 44).

Our human government is important, and I am convicted to be more fervent and more faithful in prayer for our leaders (1 Tim. 2:1-2).

But our human government is not decisive.

While I was washing dishes in the kitchen this morning (feeling kind of bummed about the outcome of the election) and you were bouncing in your exersaucer, the song from Auntie Betsy and Uncle Brian's wedding came to mind:


Tonight, when we were leaving the guys in the garage for the South Men's Fellowship, they were singing the same song.  Almost got choked up, feeling how deeply I long to hold on to these truths and give them to you to hold onto as well.

Oh Victor, human leaders will come and go.  None will be perfect.  None will be as bad as they could be, without God's common grace.  And never will those human leaders provide us with security, hope, everything we need.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 1:13).

Hold to Jesus, little button.  He will never leave you and never let you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment