Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hunger and Thirst

I read these in Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by Martyn Lloyd-Jones:
I suggest that if we are truly hungering and thirsting after righteousness we shall not only avoid things that we know to be bad and harmful, we shall even avoid things that tend to dull or take the edge off our spiritual appetites. There are so many things like that, things that are quite harmless in themselves and which are perfectly legitimate. Yet if you find that you are spending much of your time with them, and that you desire the things of God less, you must avoid them. ... There are so many things that I cannot condemn in and of themselves. But if I find I spend too much of my time with them, and that somehow I want God and spiritual things less and less, then, if I am hungering and thirsting after righteousness, I shall avoid them. (76).
A searching question. What makes me a bit less interested in things of God, or what seems a bit more compelling, satisfying, or enjoyable than seeking Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment