Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Questions and Comforts

Well, the journey continues.  We had a good appointment at the pediatrician yesterday.  The things that stick out to me ...

Victor is 75% for height and 10% for weight.  I think the past 2 colds have taken a toll, because our little guy hasn't been so little before.  It makes me a little sad, actually, to see his sleeper looking kind of baggy.  But I expect that is just a little blip on the radar. 

Bottom line for his current virus, we'll keep on with the meds and nebs.  The bigger point that he made was, this is developing into a pattern.  When a cold comes, it seems to go to his lungs.  And from there, it gets fairly ugly.

So, with one trip to the ER fresh in my memory, I found myself with a little quality time at 1am awake in bed, pondering our care of our son.

What does this mean for time with our extended families?  How do we balance caution for his health with care for others?  Bottom line, trust and obey one step at a time.  And God will make the way straight. 

From Spurgeon's Morning today: ... the place that is called The Skull.--Luke 23:33
The hill of comfort is the hill that is called The Skull or Calvary. ... No scene in sacred history ever gladdens the soul like Calvary's tragedy.
Is it not strange, the darkest hour
That ever dawned on sinful earth,
Should touch the heart with softer power,
For comfort, than an angel's mirth?
That to the Cross the mourner's eye should turn,
Sooner than where the stars of Bethlehem burn?
Light springs from the midday-midnight of Golgotha. ... If you want to know love, then go afresh to Calvary and see the Man of Sorrows die.

I have fallen into the trap before of wanting God to give me some sign that He loves me.  I don't feel loved; show me somehow that You really care.
 
But it's like this.  I was in impenetrable chains, with the Enemy's noose about my neck and black hood over my head, headed not to simple death but to eternal suffering.  And I was not kidnapped into this state, but I mutinied, spit in the face of my Father, and went clawing, swearing, blaspheming into the arms of death.

Instead of letting me go my own way, He sent His cherished Son to absorb the torture, abuse, judgment, and slow, agonizing death in my place, to ransom me. 

What more evidence could I ask?  Forgive my unbelief.  You have absolutely proven Your heart toward me is for good. 

1 comment: