Tuesday, April 9, 2013

This Morning

Victor punctuated last night with many brief coughing fits, but he only actually woke up needing me once, and I slept between coughs, so I am personally feeling quite a bit more human today.

From Spurgeon's Morning for today: And there followed him a great multitude of the people and of women who were mourning and lamenting for Him. Luke 23:27

They bewailed innocence maltreated, goodness persecuted, love bleeding, meekness about to die, but my heart has a deeper and more bitter cause to mourn. My sins were the scourges that lacerated those blessed shoulders and crowned with thorns those bleeding brows; my sins cried, "Crucify Him! crucify Him!" and laid the cross upon His gracious shoulders. ...
The reason for those women's love and tears is plain to read, but they could not have had greater reason for love and grief than my heart has. The widow of Nain saw her son restored--but I myself have been raised to newness of life. Peter's mother-in-law was cured of the fever--but I of the greater plague of sin. ... Mary and Martha were favored with visits--but He dwells with me. His mother bore His body--but He is formed in me, the hope of glory. Since I am not behind the holy women in debt, let me not be behind them in gratitude or sorrow.

Good to remember the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment